23 November 2011

A Strong Drink Cures All (NaNoWriMo 2011, Day 23, 46185 Words)

I really don't drink that much, especially these last few months. A drink here, a drink there, occasionally two (or three) drinks over yonder. But some days, there is nothing better than coming home, kicking off your shoes, and pouring yourself a glass of hard liquor. This day has been one of those days. Cod how.

Tonight I am thankful for no more driving. I spent 3 hours in my car today. That is quite enough, considering I barely escaped the city proper.

I debated if I should even attempt to sit down and write. (After all, three hours of sitting in a car is quite enough sitting!)  Last night I worked through the first draft of what will probably be the hardest scene I've ever had to write in my life and will probably also require the most editing. I know I didn't get it down right, down the way that I wanted to, but in the spirit of NaNoWriMo, I am moving onward and will let it settle until I can come back to it. Hopefully with renewed energy and better perspective.

I also realized yesterday, after about 4 days of writing, what it was that was bothering me. There was a pebble in my shoe, or a thought I couldn't quite remember, something haunting me I couldn't quite figure out. I placed a significant event in my book too early and it's had an effect on everything that comes after. Once I realized my mistake, everything feels much, much better. Right. David Levithan said a writer can usually tell when they've veered off the right course and I have to say, in this case he was 100% correct. I'm just glad it's something I can easily fix without having to completely rewrite the last 20 pages.

I can hardly believe that in the past three weeks, I've already written 120 pages!

Wow. No wonder I'm feeling so tired. Those pages I wrote the first few days feel like they were written months ago, not days ago. I am so looking forward to the time and space to go back and see how my entire story plays out.

I cannot believe that we're down to the last week of 2011's NaNoWriMo. It's amazing to believe that tomorrow is already Thanksgiving.

"And I am a writer, writer of fictions. I am the heart that you call home. And I've written pages upon pages trying to rid you from my bones."
          from The Engine Driver by The Decemberists

From The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan



No comments:

Post a Comment