05 November 2011

NaNoWriMo 2011 (Day 5, Not Forgetting To Be Awesome, 10090 Words and Counting)

In fact, I think empathy is sort of the central character trait of the writer, along with, like, a weird mix of egotism and insecurity.
                                                                     John Green


There are so many reasons why I adore John Green, but one of them is for his wisdom and insightfulness. I came across this quote on the effyeahnerdfighters tumblr this morning and it really struck a chord. Without empathy, how can you effectively put yourself in so many other shoes? Without egotism, how can you believe that anyone else would care what it is that you write? Insecurity? I have never met a writer who hasn't been crippled by that villain, at least temporarily.

At work I have several employees who are reaching their 5 or 10 year anniversary dates. One of the things I started last year to honor them, was putting together a profile to display in the break room. They have to answer 5 (or 10) questions, one for every year they've been with us, and then I put it together into a newsletterish format. One of the questions is something about which writer, living or dead, would you like to have dinner with. While there are so many to choose from, if asked that question today, I would answer confidently and without regret, "John Green."

He inspires me in many, many ways. Through his books, through his NaNoWriMo Pep Talks, through his videos, and through his actions. I strive in my own writing, to be something close to him.

A girl can dream, right? What harm can it do to dream big?

If you're not familiar with John Green, he is the Printz Award Winning, Discover Great New Writers, young adult author of such brilliances as Looking for Alaska, Paper Towns, and Will Grayson, Will Grayson. If you only read one of his books, I think you should start with Paper Towns.

After some morning writing (with very satisfying results) , I'm heading out of town to visit College Brother.  The debate right now is to laptop or not to laptop...

 "I never knew love could be like this.  I never knew love could be like this. I go around   thinking I'm a genius, but I never knew love...has it ever been love? Oh, I never knew love could be like this."
                           from Never Knew Love by They Might Be Giants

Remembering the 5th of November

No comments:

Post a Comment