04 November 2011

NaNoWriMo 2011 (Day 4, 8,339 words)

I sat down tonight, after another exceptionally long (yet good) day, feeling like I had nothing to write. My plot was feeling stale, directionless, lost at sea. But the thing about NaNoWriMo is that I have to try, regardless of how I feel.

I always give myself a few free day passes to get through the month. Inevitably there are just those days where there aren't enough hours or enough energy. When I got home from the day's obligations and commitments, I was on the fence as to whether or not I was even going to try and write or if I'd let myself absorb some of the word count cushion I'd built up earlier in the week.

In the end, my laptop won out and I told myself that I would just spend an hour working and see what happened.

I've very grateful that I did.

After reading through the work I did yesterday (and after not cringing, grimacing, or breaking down in tears), I found the directions I needed to move forward.

And so the story progresses, even when I thought I wasn't ready, and that I had nothing in me to contribute.

Now that the ball is rolling again, I find that it's a good place to stop. It's actually one of my favorite ways to write, stopping while the momentum is brisk and the desire to get back to it is strong.

Still a day ahead of schedule and I'm officially on my NaNoWriMo vacation!

Godspeed indeed!

"I never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never loved somebody the way that I loved you."
                                         from I Never by Rilo Kiley

Seeing the forest for the trees? Or the trees for the forest?

No comments:

Post a Comment