25 November 2011

Controlled Chaos and Pepper Spray (NaNoWriMo 2011, Day 25, 48140 Words)

Controlled chaos. Those are the words I choose to use to describe this (work) day.

I read stories about the woman in a Wal-Mart last night who used pepper spray to clear people away from the areas she wanted to shop. 20 adults and CHILDREN were injured by her actions. Why? So she could buy a bunch of useless crap that won't mean anything in a month? A year? It completely baffles me that someone would do that to other human beings. All to get a "good" deal...which you can often find on other days, with less crowds. Black Friday has become more about the hype than the good deals.

I seem to recall living in a world where I felt safe at a big box retailer or on a college campus. I seem to recall growing up in a world where the only people who used pepper spray were either afraid of rapists or police officers being aggressively attacked.

Clearly I wasn't paying attention while the world around me changed.

This has been a year of personal reflection for me, a time of focusing on the things that are important. And by things, I do not mean material possessions. I mean time...time to read a good book, go for a walk in the world (where thus far, I have yet to encounter pepper spray), to listen to music (live and recorded), to eat a good meal with family and friends, to write this book that is near and very dear to my heart. Time to create new things...with yarn, with buttons, with food, with friends.


Life is too short not to do those things that are truly important to you and spend it with the people who are important to you.


This is why, for the past 24 hours, I've spent a minimal amount of time writing. I've less than 2,000 words to go to "win," and I can probably wrap up the plot in about 6,000 if I have to. I still have two full (non-holiday) days off out of the next 5. I can't wait to see what happens next.


"I was wanting you to love me, but your love it never came. All the other love around me was just wasting all away."
           from Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell by The Flaming Lips

What I can't wait to finish reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment