14 November 2011

NaNoWriMo 2011 (Days 12-14, 29,610 Words)


I'm home again and back in the library, cozied up in my slippers (new, warm, wonderful) and a blanket. I've settled in for some writing time as the sunrise transforms the sky from black to a light, steady gray. I've got my music on and the shuffle is cooperating with my mood (or my mood is cooperating with my shuffle?). My coffee is warm, the heat just kicked on, and I have had an amazingly wonderful weekend.

Wonderful food was eaten, the beach was explored, waves flirted with, fresh air breathed in deeply, sleep was restful, and over 10,000! words were written. Saturday alone was nearly 5,000 words. It was a productive and wonderful weekend and I am going to enjoy this last day of vacation before returning to a very hectic work week. In fact, I'm going to do my best to not think about what's waiting for me upon my return.

My story continues to progress well, though I am probably 10-20 pages away from some of the most challenging writing of my life. There is an inevitable confrontation that is going to take place and I am still unsure how it's going to play out.

In general, during NaNoWriMo, I have avoided trying to write anything that involves doing much research/fact checking. But, while I was away at the coast, the story took off. On the road. And I was left with my Google Maps app and a 3G connection to try to get some basic facts right so I could proceed at least somewhat accurately. Let's just say I'm happy to be home again with my 27-inch portal to high-speed internet. And a printer. 

I have a much greater respect for people who write historical fiction, or any kind of fiction that involves accurate details in time and space. I just keep hearing this little nerdy voice in the my head that keeps saying things (while pushing his glasses up the bridge of his nose) like, "You know, if they'd been driving for 6 hours, wouldn't they really be {insert name of town} instead of {insert other name of town}?"

I hate and love that voice. 

For now, for the sake of speed and time, I'm just plowing forward with the most basic of details and will wait to consult with my little nerdy voice when it comes time to edit and fact check. 

And for those of you who are curious about how the word count translates to pages, I've written 78 pages so far and the month has (not quite yet) reached the halfway point.


"Flew out of Amsterdam, put up one hand on the window to say goodbye. I'd been so lonely there, I'm so lonely everywhere, even though they'd been so nice."
                    from Amsterdam by McKinley





Jellyfish











No comments:

Post a Comment