27 November 2011

Nearing the End of Days: NaNoWriMo 2011 (Days 26-27, 52150 Words)

This morning, bathed in the glow of the lamplight, sipping on fresh coffee, watching the sky brighten from the all encompassing black into the defined shapes of fences, trees, rooftops and telephone poles, I find I am having a hard time believing there are only a few days left in November. This November has been so full...with so many different kinds of things happening, from concerts to sandy walks along the ocean's edge. I have listened to countless hours of music. I have written over 50,000 words that span 136 pages (so far). I have traveled (in my book) halfway across the country and nearly back. I have spent time with amazing friends who inspire and challenge me. I've crunched leaves with my feet. I've stomped through puddles. I've made a million small discoveries about myself, about my characters. I have laughed. I have cried. I have tried to learn how to play the ukulele (but due to the Great Ukulele Conspiracy of 2011, I have been unable to get my hands on an instrument (with effective strings)).

I am having a hard time imagining my mornings starting out any other way. Every morning I've had to call my own, I have gotten out of bed, eager for the writing time to begin. It's never been so easy for me. I've never felt so compelled.

If we are only counting words, I have already won this year's NaNoWriMo. Friday night I crossed over the 50K line, the word count needed to submit your novel and "win." My plot isn't quite wrapped up, my characters are stranded in South Dakota and need to find their way back and to their ending. I am optimistic that can do this in the next 8,000 words and have set my sights on crossing the 60K line before the calendar rolls over to Thursday and December is born. It's only 2,000 words a day, which is below my daily average. It will be a personal best.

More than ever (once some edits are worked out) I am looking forward to sharing this work with some of you. In the past year, these characters and their lives, have really taken a hold on my heart and my imagination. The other night, they even made a guest appearance in my dreams!

The sky is now bright and my characters are waiting for me.

"The most tender place in my heart is for strangers. I know it's unkind, but my own blood is much too dangerous."
          from Hold On, Hold On by Neko Case



Pier Park on the morning of Thanksgiving

No comments:

Post a Comment