16 November 2011

Interrupting (Moo!) Cows (NaNoWriMo 2011, 33010 Words)

Yesterday's writing session knocked me to the ground. Quite literally. It was an awesome morning of writing and progress and ideas and excitement and let's not forget yesterday's discussion of kissing. I was on such a roll and was very frustrated by the interruptions.

The first time my husband came in to say good morning I did my best not to be grumpy about it, realizing that it was likely the only real conversation we were going to have time for. I do still happen to enjoy his company and appreciate the time we have together so I set aside my writing for a little while. 

A little bit later my dad came over and suddenly, there I was, in an intense moment of writing, momentum carrying me onward and there were two people and a dog in my writing space talking about things that had absolutely nothing to do with me. I don't think there has ever (in my entire life!) been a time when I have more sincerely wanted to be left alone to write.

After a few more minutes the room was finally cleared and I was left with only 15 more minutes to write before it was time to leave for work. My fingers flew across the keyboard, chased by the words that were desperate to be written.

When I finally had to force myself to get up, I was quite surprised to learn that my entire right leg had fallen asleep. Really, I had no idea. None.

What happened next is hard to describe because it was so traumatic my brain has already blocked off a good portion of the transpiring events. What I do remember is that my leg collapsed in an unnatural way and the rest of my body desperately tried to compensate. The end result was me lying on my back, bloody and bruised.

Today I can still barely use my right wrist. My back hurts. My right knee is in pain. My left leg which already suffers from nerve damage is pissed off at me. In short, I am a painful mess.

Work was a disaster and so what writing I was going to do when I got home was exchanged for preparation for a presentation I have to give in three hours. What writing I was going to do this morning before said presentation, I am giving up to go in early to finalize presentation preparation. This blog is really just about procrastination.  Presentation preparation procrastination. Say that 10 times fast.

Today is donation day over at NaNoWriMo and I am looking forward to giving my own financial contribution to them later on. They really do great things and deserve all the support they can get. For anyone else who's interested, you may check them out at: https://store.lettersandlight.org/donations

With my husband working tonight, I'm hoping that this evening will be a productive time to pick up where I left off, without interruption.

Facebook, I'm looking at you.

"I knew you well, I know you best. Everybody owes something to everybody else. Gabrielle gave me some news to give to you: 'Never take him for granted, you've got nothing better to do.'"
          from Monkeys Uptown by Iron & Wine





1 comment:

  1. ...thank you for sharing.

    btw, i am at http://theymaysaythatimadreamer.blogspot.com if you want to check me out! and follow me if you like what you see.

    enchante,
    dorothy

    ReplyDelete