20 November 2011

Stepping Back (NaNoWriMo 2011, Days 19-20, 38322 Words)

I did not write yesterday. At all. No NaNoWriMo, no blog, I don't think I even typed an email (ok, I did one at work). I did this with purpose. Sometimes it's important to take a break, to step away. I'm at a critical, very emotionally challenging part of the story (and by the end of this day, I'll have made my way well past the 40,000 word mark). There are a lot of reasons why I chose to step away for that time.

I have a general idea for how the writing will go today, but I also know that it is going to be tough. Empathizing with the situation I have to face, will not be an easy task. Knowing that, I wanted to approach the work while I, myself, was completely rested and not physically and emotionally drained at the end of a very long work week. Also, I missed my husband.

So I traded an evening of writing for some take-out dinner and the time to curl up next to my husband on the couch to watch Easy A (his choice actually, not mine). I laughed. I relaxed. I got to spend the rest of the evening watching my husband sing and dance Pocket Full of Sunshine, which was highly entertaining. For those of you unfamiliar with the song, it is HIGHLY addictive and will remain rattling around in your head for days. You were warned.

Over the last 10 days of NaNoWriMo, I'll be periodically asking for some help from you. Holden, one of my main characters is an obsessive listener to music and is constantly making playlists of different themes. I'd love it if you'd take the time to answer a few music related questions I'll be posing.

First up? Can you share a song that breaks your heart, a song that hits that emotional place inside you? It may make you cry, and if it doesn't, it at least makes you want to. It would mean an awful lot, and as I mentioned (to those of you on Facebook at least) there will be prizes/rewards coming in early December.

Have I mentioned you look lovely today?


           "I got pocket, got a pocketful of sunshine
            I got a love and I know that it's all mine, oh, oh oh oh
            Do what you want but you're never gonna break me
            Sticks and stones are never gonna shake me, oh, oh oh oh
            From Natasha Bedingfield's Pocket Full of Sunshine




No comments:

Post a Comment