15 November 2011

On Kissing, NaNoWriMo 2011 (Day 15, 32,415 Words)

I've spent the morning writing about first kisses and kissing in general. It's been fun to have the creative license to make up wonderful, sad, humorous and near tragic tales of first kisses. To imagine that moment again, in so many different and varied ways.

Remembering what it was like to anticipate my own first first kiss...

Then there are the kisses that come after your first first kiss, the first kiss you share with someone new you've been wanting and waiting to kiss for the first time. The best friend of one of my characters talks about PKMs (Perfect Kissing Moments) and I can't help but think about how those PKMs can both haunt and inspire us. Pleasant memories and missed opportunities, carried with us for the rest of our lives.

I can only remember one truly Perfect Kissing Moment that I didn't take advantage of. The reasons for that were a bit complicated, but thinking of it now, I can't help but wonder how things would have been different if I'd leaned in instead of pulling away. I don't live my life with regret, that's just not what I do. But sometimes, I'll confess, I wonder how my life would have been altered if I hadn't been quite so afraid.

Sometimes a kiss really can change everything. Friendships can be forever altered, for better, for worse.


"A kiss is not a contract, but it's very nice, it's very nice. Just because you've been exploring my mouth doesn't mean you get to take an expedition further south. A kiss is not a contract, but it's very nice, it's very, very nice. Just because we've been playing tonsil-hockey doesn't mean you get to score the goal that's in my jockeys."
             from A Kiss is Not a Contract by Flight of the Conchords



No comments:

Post a Comment