11 November 2011

NaNoWriMo 2011 (11/11/11...19,418 Words)

My first TMBG concert, 16.5 years ago!
Now it's time to take NaNoWriMo on the road! We'll see how the updating goes. The hotel we're staying at does not have wifi, so my ability to update on a daily basis will be restricted, but I haven't ruled anything out yet...including drive-bys to free wifi hot spots.

Last night I went to see They Might Be Giants for the not sure how manyeth time. It was completely awesome and I had so much fun "dancing." It was hot, it was sweaty, it was loud, and I remembered going to see them for the first time, when I was just 19 years old.

Jezebel, one of my characters, just turned 19. Last night at the concert, thinking about my own experiences as a 19 year old, I couldn't help but wonder how things like technology (iPhones, Facebook, etc) have changed what it's like to be in high school and in college.

Neil Gaiman wrote a song that talks a bit about that very thought that begins, "I Google you..." The world is a very different place and I think we have yet to really understand how social media has changed what it's like to be a teenager. And I like to think and wonder about how other advances in technology have changed that as well. Once upon a time you didn't wait by the phone for someone to call (or text, or tweet, or update their status). Did you wait by the post? Wait to see them at school or at church?




No comments:

Post a Comment