13 December 2011

Hindsight is Always

I woke up this morning entirely too early for my own good. I stayed up late killing an entire village, including one (other) werewolf. Long story...

While I was pretending there was still a chance I would fall back to sleep, I got to thinking about my book and about editing and about life. I was thinking about how nice it was going to be to go back through and edit, knowing what I know now. It's kind of like getting to go back and piece your life together after you already know how it's going to end. It's not the same as rewriting history, it's more like getting to go back and view the gaps with an altered understanding. It's the ability to see things through a new filter, a new prescription, a new found sense of what the world is meant to be about. Even now I can look back at events and experiences in my own life and understand how they got me to where I am today.

What's killing me is time (and apparently a lack of ability to get even 6 hours of good sleep). I've got a plate that's full and I'm kind of wondering if I could get away with hiding my Lima beans under something else for a while. Maybe no one will notice...

In addition to the writing/editing that I've been wanting to do, there is also a great many other things requiring my attention. The Great Ukulele Quest of 2011 has finally reached its epic conclusion and my ukulele arrived (undamaged and as re-scheduled) last week. Thanks to the help of my husband, it has been tuned every day and the strings are finally starting to stretch and settle. I've learned a couple chords and am looking forward to learning many more...in the new year. But for now, I mostly have to catch a glimpse out of the corner of my eye.

I've also been trying to read. I had to read a book for work. I don't know that I'm allowed to tell any of you what it is, but I will say this...it's the kind of book you really want to talk about once you've finished and because it doesn't come out for more than another month, there's really no one I can really talk to about it. I am also slowly working my way through WinterTown by Stephen Emond. He's an author I wasn't familiar with until I found his book out of place at work and took a peak inside. He blends storytelling with artwork in a lovely way. I'm about halfway through reading it and am looking forward to finishing it very soon.

In a completely unrelated note. It is still entirely pitch black outside. Wish me luck as I venture inside my own book for a little while...


from Stephen Emond's WinterTown



No comments:

Post a Comment