16 May 2012

Waiting for My Manuscript

What an amazing and incredibly busy and challenging and wonderful week this past week has been. And now, somewhere between the east coast and the west coast, my novel is making its way back to me. I feel like I've sent it off to camp and it's going to come back to me sun-tanned and just a little bit more grown up. It's had a life away from mine and I am looking forward to hearing of its tales and adventures. I can't wait to see how it's grown.

The email I got yesterday (for those who missed the Facebook post) said, "I found SWHOT* to be a strong manuscript, especially the character of Holden. As you'll see in your critique, I think he holds his own with any of John Green's boys."

As I'm sure anyone who regularly reads my blog knows, I am an ardent admirer of John Green as a writer and as a human being. I don't think I could have received a better compliment. And I swear my feet (in their new red shoes) were about 4 inches off the ground all day. A silly grin was permanently adhered to my face and joy filled me up to the point where it overflowed. 


I had the best day ever...beautiful, beautiful weather, new fun sandals, sushi for lunch, hand made salted caramel ice cream, a walk to Wallace Park (where some of my book takes place), a massage, Burgerville (Asparagus Spears!) and Captain America. And all this with my love at my side. Truth be told, I couldn't have written this book without him. He has been supportive and understanding. He has made me coffee, dinner, given me time without me having to ask for it, and taught me so much about love and friendship and happiness. He has been there to to encourage and celebrate through each step of this entire process.

I know there are still many things in my manuscript that need polishing (and I'm really looking forward to hearing the criticisms offered in this manuscript critique as well as the compliments), but one thing I have absolutely never doubted is Holden. He is as real to me as any person I have ever met and I know him inside and out. There was a time when I wanted to push the story in a different direction and he fought back and he won. And he was right.




*Something Worth Holding On To...though I am a little bit enamored with how SWHOT sounds...
My hostas begin to unfurl.

No comments:

Post a Comment