06 April 2012

Pablo Neruda (National Poetry Month 2012)

 Pablo Neruda has long been one of my absolute poets with all his odes and sonnets and everything else. This is one of my favorites, of which, I'll admit, there are many...




XLIV

You must know that I do not love and that I love you,
because everything alive has its two sides;
a word is one wing of the silence,
fire has its cold half.

I love you in order to begin to love you,
to start infinity again
and never to stop loving you:
that's why I do not love you yet.

I love you, and I do not love you, as if I held
keys in my hand: to a future of joy--
a wretched, muddled fate--

My love has two lives, in order to love you:
that's why I love you when I do not love you,
and also why I love you when I do.

Pablo Neruda from his collection of 100 Love Sonnets

No comments:

Post a Comment