07 April 2012

(An old favorite) National Poetry Month 2012

I Never Did Eat the Mango

You handed me a mango
and asked me to dance.

It was New Year’s Eve
I was wearing a new dress
with a drink in one hand
your mango-gift in the other.

You told me you were driving home
from the beach that afternoon
how you'd stopped at a fruit stand
on the side of the road
discovered this perfect mango
and thought of me.

Such a sensual thing, a mango,
perfect heart,
breast of all the fruits.

We danced for hours to Latin music
and I realized I no longer loved you
I no longer anticipated your lips
or your body brushing against mine.

Close to midnight we sat on the love seat
and you asked for my resolutions.

I remember a long silence before I answered,

I don’t think I’m going to do this anymore.




This is something I wrote several years ago. There is something about it that I have always loved. Maybe it's the title (which is an autobiographical truth...I never did eat the literal mango) or maybe it's the resolution, the point when you realize that a relationship is no longer good and it's time to let it go. Either way, I hope you like it.

I've decided to share one of my own poem's each week this month. I haven't yet decided which ones they will be and I'm rather curious to see what I'm going to find as I sift through the archives.

No comments:

Post a Comment