26 February 2012

Something to hold on to...

This morning I finally finished reading through my manuscript with some minor editing. This was the very first time I've read through what is now the second part of the novel since it was written during NaNoWriMo 2011.

There were some moments I had completely forgotten about...it's a very strange and surreal experience to read something that you know you've written but can't actually remember writing. This happens to me the most during NaNoWriMo due in large part to the nature of that experience. It's about breaking in the path rather than stopping to smell the roses. Sometimes you don't even see what you've done until you can look back from the other side.

I have to confess, for the most part, I'm feeling really good about the work done this past November. I think you can really see the growth between 2010 and 2011. The dialogue is better, the characters really come into their own, the plot moves along. There is still much work to be done, but I really feel that once I give the book one more read through, it'll be ready for some outside eyes and opinions.

It's about time to begin sharing.

This afternoon I (and by "I" I mean my husband) printed out the first hard copy of the book that was once two halves.

I knew it was big, I just had no idea it was quite so big. (That's what she said!)

There is something amazing about holding the weight of my words in my hands, to feel physicality of what has primarily existed in my mental space for the past year and a half. It's beginning to feel like a real book. That's probably the main reason why I had to print it out. I wanted to be able to experience it with multiple senses...to feel it, to touch it, see it, to smell it.

Tonight is Oscar night and I will be watching and sipping champagne. I will likely place my book on the coffee table just so I can glance at it periodically. Maybe I'll even let it sit on my lap for part of the show.

It's 422 pages of hard work and the manifestation of a great deal of time and effort. I can't help but feel proud.

The printed manuscript with a mini-figure Jess for perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment