11 January 2012

Away and Home

Thinking I could get through 200 some pages of editing while I was at the coast was...apparently...beyond ambitious. I've calculated that I edit at the rate of approximately 10 pages per hour. The section that I'm working on now is 220 pages, which, divided by 10, equals approximately twenty two hours of editing. Even if I divided that equally amongst my three nights, that's a little more than seven hours a day...and there was sunshine...

But I shall make no excuses!

There were books to be read, an ocean to be gazed upon, naps to be enjoyed, fine food to be dined upon, drinks to be drunk, memories to be made. Even so, I did get a nice chunk of work done. I've surpassed the halfway point and am still as excited and motivated as ever to continue on.

The time away has been good for me, but it's nice to be home again with a black dog leaning against my leg and using her nose to flick my wrist off the keyboard. It's good to do laundry, eat dinner in, sleep in my own bed, practice my ukulele.

Sometimes I think we go away so we can greater appreciate coming home.

And sometimes I think it's just nice to go away.

Rereading John Green's Looking for Alaska while I waited for The Fault in Our Stars

1 comment:

  1. We need to get the uke together with the guitar and the trombone. Just need a jug for Shannon to blow on and we'll have a band like no other!

    ReplyDelete