24 March 2012

Reading, Writing, and Blurbing.

One of the things I've been noticing lately is how this intensive writing/editing I've been doing for the past year has changed the way I read. I've really learned how to spot the character details and subtle clues as to what's going to be a big deal later. I mean, I've gotten really good.

I've always been a good reader (I was Grade A English Major...), able to look back at a text after the big reveal and remember all the clues that led up to it. What's different, is that I've gotten to where I can read prophetically.

It's just a different way of reading and I find it interesting and it really became apparent to me this past week as I read The Art of Fielding (an excellent read, I might add). There were so many little things where I said to myself, "Hmm, I'll bet that means x is going to y." And I was right.

Also this past week, The Blurbist struck again with the latest B&N Recommends title, Imagine by Jonah Lehrer. My latest blurb was chosen for the press release. "Imagine is one of those books that has the power to change the world. It's a book that artists, writers, musicians, comics, CEOs, elected officials, educators, scientists, anyone who wants to create change or something meaningful should read."

It really is a very good and interesting book...and also that non-fiction book I was complaining about having to read a few months ago. In the end, I was so glad that I did finish it.

I've also been plugging away at a complete manuscript edit. As the Facebook crew knows, I've been fortuned with a fantastic opportunity to have my manuscript professionally critiqued and so now I have even more focus to get through this revision so I can send it off and get some insights and feedback. I work best with deadlines, so I've promised to send off my manuscript around mid-April. (I also like flexibility.)

I have a lot of work to do before then so every day I try to sit down and get through at least a few pages, even after a long work day.

When I went and saw Heidi W. Durrow earlier this month, she told a story about how she put an ad on Craigslist looking for readers. She offered dinner at a Zagat rated restaurant to those who agreed to read her manuscript and give her feedback. I loved this idea and wondered how I could make something like this work for me.

I am fortunate enough to have many people who want to read and who have offered to read this manuscript. In time, I hope everyone who wants to will get that chance to read it.

But there is something beneficial about having a stranger do the work. A stranger is more likely to say what needs to be said without any fear of hurting my feelings. I have no doubt that some of you are more than capable of doing this as well, it's just harder. It can just be a little more complicated.

I wasn't looking to do this, but through a lucky accident, an opportunity arose.

And that's what I love about life, how I never know exactly what to expect.




No comments:

Post a Comment