15 October 2011

Approximately one year ago, we gave up our  DVR and cable television. At first, I'll admit, I was a bit devastated. I had grown to love the convenience of having everything available to watch when I wanted it. But my husband convinced me it would be a good idea, and that there were many alternatives to keep up with the few programs that I actually did watch.

It was the best thing for me. I still got to watch the shows that I really wanted to see (like the Daily Show, Fringe, and The Colbert Report), but I stopped wasting time on things that didn't really matter.

I wrote more than ever and I read more than I had in a long time. After the initial adjustment, I found that I didn't even miss it at all.

Fast forward to this past June. We decided to go ahead and add cable back just for the summer so we could resume our True Blood nights with our friends. We went all out, adding not only HBO, but also the package that would allow us BBC America...which turned out to be quite the disappointment as it wasn't available in HD (until the last week) and basically was a glorified SyFy channel showing Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek TNG, and the X-Files. Occasionally there was an episode of Doctor Who or Top Gear thrown in for good measure.

Other than our Sunday evening social gatherings, neither my husband or I found ourselves appreciating the expanded television offerings. We had successfully weaned ourselves from having that "need" in our lives.

But then, this past week, I was reminded how wonderful television is when you're home sick and can't read and can't sleep and all you want is something to distract you from how miserable you feel. For me, this was also the day that our cable was disconnected, irony of ironies.

Then I remembered Netflix and Hulu+, and realized how much the internet has truly changed television.

I'm of the age where I can remember a time before the internet. Right now my life is divided pretty equally between time with and time without the internet. I wonder if one day I'll be an old person telling my great-nieces and great-nephews about the days when you had to be home in order to watch a television show at a set day and time.

And sometimes I wonder about what will come next.

No comments:

Post a Comment